Saturday, January 07, 2006

Men's Breakfast

Saturday morning. My son Justin picks me up at 7:45 and we drive to Westminster Church, to a men's breakfast. Lots of guys come, bring friends...a few sons and dads too. Bob Henderson came with Will, his son, who's grown about 6" since last time I saw him. Bob and I may be the only men here with our sons. Flip Young & Co. rally before dawn. They make the kitchen start jumping and by the time the first man arrives, coffee's always on. Tex & Shirley's, IHOP, or Waffle House can't hold a candle to this breakfast, at least from May through September, when from 8-9, this is a happening thing. Guys mingle, see friends (old and new), and drink coffee. Sam Zealy offers thanks asking God to continue His redeeming work to all here and to bless those we left at home. Two serving lines open up and five minutes later, 75 men are sitting down and enjoying one of life's greatest and simplest pleasures - great food and real fellowship.

And me, I get to be with my son, how special is that gift? I wonder, how many dads and sons this Saturday morning get to have breakfast together? Some sons I know would give anything to be able to do this. Some dads too. Justin invites a friend, Kevin Sasser and we three are joined by another friend, Vic Cochran. Curtis Weaver introduces Fil Anderson to the crowd. He challenges us to think honestly and carefully about some things that most men, me included, don't think of very often. Like what's on your mind and heart as you start a new year. And what kind of report your body is giving you. Its good. Click here to listen Men's Breakfast (note, this broken link is under repair).

No comments: